Hodges Real Estate
Help fund relief efforts for the Australian Bushfires #beyondthebricks
Support Now

How do I get a new dividing fence?

There are specific fencing laws in Victoria that relate to this matter. The Fences Act specifies the rules and responsibilities regarding who pays the cost of a dividing fence, the type of fence being built, and the notice that neighbours are required to give each other prior to committing to installing a new fence.

If you need a new dividing fence between two properties or believe the current fence needs repairing the first port of call should be to have this discussion with your neighbours. If you both agree the work needs to be done it’s likely you won’t need to follow the terms and processes in the Fences Act and decide and settle the semantics together. You can’t just go ahead and arrange the fence to be built or repaired without the neighbour’s approval or giving them the appropriate fencing notice.

For more information follow the link below…